Saturday, November 6, 2010

From the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown to The Grinch In a Matter of Three Weeks? The Holidays Must Be Approaching

Holy cow it's November! I actually had to put on a winter jacket today and a scarf. It is that time of year again, a time of year that everyone looks forward to, well at least I do. Halloween is over and the annual "watching of The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" has already happened in my family. It's hard to believe that in less than a month the stores will be filled to the brim with people, rushing in to receive early holiday savings. Speaking of early, the other day while in Chemistry class I had an urge to watch The Grinch when I returned home from school. Unfortunately I had too much homework, so I will have to save the classic for another night, perhaps a little closer to December twenty fifth.

Holiday shopping is always fun, but getting it out of the way this early might be being a little too eager. But who can help it if stores advertise this early right? Stores must take down Halloween/Thanksgiving decorations and trinkets one day and then put up Christmas things the next, or that is just how it seems. Just today I was talking with one of my friends and we both agreed that Christmas is too commercialized these days. When people think of Christmas most just think of presents, which is a large part of the season, but what we should be thinking about is the people that mean a lot to us, not the things they purchase for us.

Every time I turn the television on now, there is a new advertisement for a new product or holidays sales, that "won't last for long". Even walking into a pharmacy lately one is bound to run into a plastic candy cane filled with some sort of tooth decaying candy. And it's too early! Don't get me wrong I love Christmas, and all of the festivities that come along with it, just not the stores pushing consumers to buy, buy, buy.

People on a mission to get the Christmas shopping done, can sometimes be humorous, so let me share with you an experience I had today at Walmart. I had just picked up a book by David Sedaris called holidays on ice, hoping to hear some of the things he encountered around the holidays. My parents had to go to Walmart to pick up a few things needed around the house, so I stayed in the car to dig into my new book. While in the car, I was semi-people watching, but just incase they had any idea that I was watching them, I would quickly look down into my book as if nothing ever occurred to me. What I learned is that people in big and small cars often get rowdy when it comes to their holiday shopping. It's funny how you can determine what kind of a person is behind the wheel, by the vehicle they are driving most of the time. They race to get a decent parking spot, and then what ends up happening is someone else will get there a little earlier, and the person hoping to get that spot will be steamed and then take their anger out on the car. Either by laying on the horn or racing somewhere else to get another spot and yelling, at some poor helpless old person that is trying ever so hard to back out of a parking spot. Their language is foul, temper's are fair, and all this for what? The latest toy truck or the last box of stuffing? Obviously this isn't all people; this was just the majority of people at Walmart on a Saturday afternoon. While I was sitting in the car, trying to be discreet a car horn went off at least twice every few minutes, and there was never a shortage of loud booming voices. I didn't go in the store and I couldn't have imagined what went on in there that I didn't see.

Any way the book is very good, as always, David Sedaris never ceases to please me for a good read. I will try to update this blog as much as I can, things have been busy and hectic lately, but science fair is coming up, and exciting things might come out of that. So stay tuned!

That is all

P.S Happy almost Thanksgiving!

-"M"

No comments:

Post a Comment