Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I'm Sorry, But I Don't Think I'm the Only One Who Doesn't Want to Contract E. coli From a "Perfectly Cooked Piece of Meat"

Is it just me, or do you also cringe when watching a cooking show, and the host bites into a enourmous burger that is called with great sarcasim "medium rare"? In reality though, it's not medium rare at all it's just plain rare and is almost the same color as it was in the pakage a few minutes ago! People actually like their meat cooked this way? I have only one question - what is the appeal?

It might be just me, but I don't want to risk anything I put in my body that's going to make it not function properly, and could make me very sick for a long time. Another thing about that big juicy "medium rare" burger is that some of the juices in it are blood from the meat, which is completely repulsive. Part of the cooking process is to sterilize the food; to cook away anything that could potentially harm the person about to consume it. Cooking the meat on each side for only a few minutes doesn't seem like it would kill any bacteria on the meat, except for on the surface.

Vegetarians do not eat meat for numerious reasons, one of which is that they do not want to see a animal carcas sitting on a plate in front of them. I also do not like the reminder that the burger in front of me was from a cow, so naturally looking at a rare burger disgusts me. Maybe this notion was passed on from my parents, because they too do not like the look of raw meat. My mom has this quip that is quite true and funny about a rare hamburger, it goes something like this, "This burger is so rare I can still hear it mooing." yes, that's my mom. Still I ask what is attractive about a rare burger.

Another thing, why is it okay to have a medium rare burger, but it is always wrong to undercook pork? The danger from raw beef is still the same as the dangers from undercooked pork, so why do we think it's okay to have a rare hamburg. Also steak tar tar.Completely raw no cooking involved? What were people thinking?I haven't tried it before, maybe it tastes fine, but I would be too scared to try it.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it won't hurt you that much. But I don't think it's wrong when I send back my burger to the kitchen at a resturaunt for it to be cooked well done and not served "medium rare".

That is all

-"M"

No comments:

Post a Comment