Sunday, February 7, 2010

Middle-Aged Men Singing to Miley Cyrus, Otherwise Known as the Father Daughter Dance

It's an event when daughters and their fathers come together for a dance; a tradition that was formed when I was three years old. It is also just like a family reunion, being introduced to people who haven't seen you since you were about as high as their knees. This dance means a lot to me and my father, it's worth the price of the ticket and all will have an enjoyable experience. But with every year comes new music and each year the new music becomes more explicit than the year previous. While we were standing in line to get our pictures taken a new song comes blasting out of the speakers. This song is defiantly not appropriate for little ones who are not even five years of age yet, heck it's not even appropriate for me to be hearing. Plus this song is all electronic, not even a guitar or real drum beat, instead a beat from a computer. As I looked around me, disgusted I saw what this song was doing. Teaching young girls to act the way it says to in the song lyrics. Little mouths speaking the lyrics of a person who probably doesn't know what they were writing at the time could have an impact. Most of the words should have been edited out, and the D.J. should have had the sense to not play the song at all. As we moved further in the line, what else should come on but Miley Cyrus's hit "Party In The U.S.A." Every little girl screamed when they heard the first strums of the guitar in the song. At least this song is much more appropriate than the one that was just played. With all of the music I listen to it surprises me to hear my father singing some of the songs I know when we are in the car. It makes me smile every time because he will mix up the lyrics here and there but it is good for a laugh to hear someone from a different era in music sing the songs you love. As Miley Cryus rang throughout the hall, I saw something that reminded me of my own dad. It was very heartwarming to see a father up near the front of the stage with his daughter singing every word of "Party In The U.S.A." with all his heart. It reminded my of the countless times with my dad in the car singing to U2 and Seal and Van Morrison, and also to Fall Out Boy, and the bands I like. It just showed me so much love.

Back on the dance floor, with blistered toes we kept on dancing. We requested the song "She is Love" by Parachute. I was very excited to hear it protrude through the speakers. Parachute is a band that I have come to love in the past month, every song on their album "Losing Sleep" is unique and amazing. The King of Pop was also remembered with "Billie Jean" My dad has impeccable dance moves that even Michael couldn't top. Of course this is completely false, my father's dance moves are that of a disco dancer. He bops from side to side and once he even moved in a complete circle. When I asked why he did such a thing he replied, "There's a whole dance floor someone's got to use it." Yes dad and that someone had to be you didn't it? Yes.

Overall the dance was a night to remember.

That is all

-"M"

No comments:

Post a Comment